This is the Steel version of the GenRight "Swing Down" rear tire carrier for the Jeep CJ-7 and CJ-5 (from 1975 and up).
We have used this style tire carrier on many of the GenRight Jeeps for years. We call it the Boulder Series Tire Carrier.
We improved on an old design by adding additional tubes in key areas of the carrier "cage" to stiffen it. Then, we designed a new innovative mounting system to securely hold almost any tire & wheel combination from 33" to 42"!
In line with our other high quality products that allow you to keep your rear seat (or rear cargo area), this tube style tire carrier is made with Heavy Duty 1-1/2" diameter x .120" wall steel tubing. The result is a cutting edge tire carrier fits tight to the rear of the vehicle (only sticks back 15-1/2" off the tailgate!) for the best possible departure angle.
This is also a great rattle free way to hold a 33” to 42" spare tire that will not rip apart the back of your Jeep! Combine that with easy access by one person to change up to a 42" tire and you have a perfect choice for a trail rig with big tires.
This Rear Carrier includes:
- 1/4" thick internal gussets that tie the upper carrier to the rear cage mounts (specific to each model Jeep).
- (2) Lower pivot mounting brackets that can be welded to any bumper (no welding required if you purchase the optional rear cross member mounting plate) or get our high clearance bumper plate.
- A beefy "T" Handle with a heavy duty ACME thread to hold the tire/wheel into the carrier "cage" for long term durability.
- A "fish" wire is pre-run through the carrier frame for a license plate and 3rd brake light(s).
- Greasable urethane bushings isolate each of the 4 mounting points to eliminate rattles!
- All necessary Grade 8 mounting hardware.
- All the mounting brackets provided work from 0" up to 1.5" of adjustment to accommodate body lifts.
- The carrier cage is 100% MIG welded (as pictured) in a jig!
- Design makes it possible for one person to load and unload huge tires by themselves.
- Easily fits up to 42" diameter x 14.50" wide tires.
- Super light weight, entire assembly only weighs 55lbs (including bumper plate)!
- Improves the vehicles departure angle.
- Unique design fits any bolt pattern and any offset wheel.
- Relocates the rear license plate to the center.
- Upper mounts are adjustable so you can make the pins easy to remove after everything settles.
- Upper pins are self locking so they won't fall out.
- Works with factory hard or soft tops.
- Made in USA!
- Fits the CJ-5 from 1975 and up.
- This tire carrier will include 2 (lower pivot) mounts that can be attached to your existing rear bumper for mounting of this tire carrier on your Jeep.
- However, we recommend using our lightweight and close fitting (for the best departure angle) heavy duty Rear Bumper Plate (RTC-3120) to mount this swing down tire carrier. The GenRight Bumper Plates include: Two 1" thick shackle mounts for solid rear tow points.
- The Bumper Plate and D-Ring Shackles REC-2102 are sold separately (options available at check out).
- There are (2) Lightening holes in the Rear Bumper Plate that make an excellent spot to mount LED back up lights (LED1500P or the new LED1001P).
- Sold Un-painted and requires some finish work before painting.
- This product should be fully installed BEFORE painting and then removed for paint or powder coating.
- When lowered, it can be walked on as a ramp to reach things in the back of your Jeep.
- Rubber bumper shown on the top of tire carrier frame in pictures is transferred from the Jeep’s tailgate door.
- A matching front bumper / stinger is also available (FBB-4010 & FBB-4100).
- To remain street legal you should illuminate the relocated license plate. We offer the LED-1640 for that reason.
- Receive and additional discount on all OPTIONS if chosen at time of purchase!
- Also available in a steel version (RTC-3140).
Due to size limitations this product or products may have to ship via freight carrier.
In such cases, shipping prices represent estimates only and are subject to change based on delivery requirements.
You may be contacted by a GenRight representative to discuss shipping options and final charges.