It is specifically designed (re-shaped) for enthusiasts who want the maximum amount of rear wheelbase stretch.
This tank will allow you to move the rear axle back as far as possible and still have a gas tank under the rear of the Jeep (not inside the cargo area).
The rear axle can be moved back up to 9" (8" on Dana 70) to stretch your Jeep Wranglers wheelbase to well over 103" for the absolute best departure angle!
Just in case you did not know, the GenRight gas tanks are unique in that they allow you to stretch your vehicles wheelbase without cutting the frame and body as in the old days. This tank still mounts underneath, allowing you to still keep your back seat (and cargo area)!
Why is stretching the wheelbase important? Well, once you are on 35's or bigger you have lifted the vehicle and geared it down. Now you have added traction and torque making the vehicle feel more unstable than it once did. Here is why: the height-to-length ratio (that the vehicle was originally designed with) has been altered. We all do it in search of more ground clearance. So now you can re-gain the proper height-to-length ratio for greater stability on big tires ON & OFF road. Besides, everyone wants the better departure angle and improved driveline angles you get with stretching the wheelbase (not the body).
FYI: This new 15 gallon tank will be replacing the GST-2006 and GST-2005 (in April of 2020).
- 1/8" thick Aluminum alloy tank is TIG welded.
- There is a foam liner between the tank and skid plate.
- Includes a heavy duty 3/16" thick steel skid plate.
- Stainless steel straps to hold tank in skid plate.
- Includes (2) factory Mopar roll over / vent valves.
- Internal baffles reduce fuel movement and keep fuel near the pick up.
- 1" more ground clearance than stock and improved departure angle.
- 15 gallon fuel capacity.
- Mounts in stock tank location, with 4 of the factory bolts and 2 new forward mounts through the frame.
- Stock mounting location keeps center of gravity low.
- Designed to accept all the stock Jeep fuel pump/sensor and other related emissions equipment (so you will not get any check engine lights or other engine computer issues).
- All tanks are 100% pressure tested.
- Made in USA.
- This tank has the larger 1997 to 2002 1-3/4" filler fitting and 3/4" vent fitting(s). Therefore 2003 and up will need to adapt your hoses to these sizes.
- Because of shape and location changes, installation of this product WILL require changes to the exhaust & tail pipe.
- To install this tank in a 2003 or newer Jeep, it might require a (1") body lift.
- Fits well with Currie Rock Jock brand Anti-Rock type rear sway bars.
- Due to the radical relocation of this tank (by about 9" rearward) the installer will need to carefully pull the fuel line and required electrical rearward to reconnect them to the fuel pump module. Not a problem there is plenty of length in the lines, it just needs to be done carefully.
- We also offer a 23 gal Comp model of up to 7" of rear axle stretch (GST-2053).
- We also offer a 20 gal EXT model for up to 5" of rear axle stretch (GST-2002).
Click on the "PICTURES" to see larger more detailed photos.
- Jeep TJ/LJ